Tumbbad 2: Priyanka, Katrina & Nayantara To Play Lead In Sohum Shah's Horror Drama? Deets Inside
Tumbbad 2 is moving into active development with Nawazuddin Siddiqui confirmed and discussions underway for a high-profile female lead. The film, produced by Sohum Shah and Pen Studios, is slated for a December 3 2027 release, as the team expands the horror-fantasy universe introduced in 2018.
The makers of Tumbbad 2 have confirmed that the sequel will arrive in cinemas on 3 December 2027, and industry talk suggests several major stars may join the cast. With anticipation already high after the first film’s success, the new update about potential leading names has turned the sequel into one of the most discussed upcoming releases.

The project is being developed by actor-producer Sohum Shah with Pen Studios, headed by Dr. Jayantilal Gada. Tumbbad 2 is expected to build on the horror-fantasy world of the original, which first released in 2018 and later returned to theatres in 2024, where the re-release went on to break box office records.
Tumbbad 2 casting update and female lead plans
A key talking point around Tumbbad 2 is the search for a high-profile female star. A source linked to the film’s development told Hindustan Times, "Makers of Tumbbad 2 are looking to onboard a prominent A-lister for a pivotal role." The source adds that the creative team wants a strong female character to anchor part of the story.
According to the same source, "They are keen on adding a strong female presence to the narrative, with names like Priyanka Chopra, Katrina Kaif, and Nayanthara being explored. While discussions are underway, nothing has been locked yet." The makers have not issued any formal casting announcement regarding this role so far.
Tumbbad 2 poster, tagline and confirmed cast
The release date reveal for Tumbbad 2 came through a poster shared on social media. The artwork shows statues of three figures, with the title “Tumbbad 2” above and “3 December 2027” placed below. The visual also carries a line in Devanagari script that reads, “Pralay aayega (Apocalypse will arrive).”
Nawazuddin Siddiqui is officially part of the sequel’s line-up, with casting for the role announced earlier this year by the team. Sohum Shah, who produced and starred in the first film as Vinayak Rao, is again closely involved with Tumbbad 2 as producer alongside Pen Studios, as the story’s universe is expanded for the new chapter.
Director Adesh Prasad has outlined the creative goals for Tumbbad 2 in a statement shared by the makers. Prasad said, "Taking this story forward has been both exciting and challenging, especially because the first film has such a strong identity. Our focus has been on retaining that soul while pushing the narrative and visual world further. We're trying to create something that feels rooted in the original, but at the same time offers audiences a fresh and immersive experience."
The original Tumbbad followed Vinayak Rao, played by Sohum Shah, who travels through a threatening night landscape carrying a lantern while accompanied by his young son, signalling a dangerous mission at the heart of the plot. The film was directed by Rahi Anil Barve, with Anand Gandhi as creative director and Adesh Prasad as co-director, from a script by Mitesh Shah, Prasad, Barve and Gandhi, and produced by Sohum Shah, Aanand L Rai, Mukesh Shah and Amita Shah.
With the release date fixed, Tumbbad 2 now moves deeper into development, aiming to extend the eerie world introduced in 2018 while keeping its distinctive mood intact. The confirmed presence of Nawazuddin Siddiqui, the involvement of Sohum Shah and Pen Studios, and the search for a major female star suggest that key creative decisions are progressing while the team refines the sequel’s narrative and visual scale.


Click it and Unblock the Notifications